From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: 24 hour review for >= dev-libs/glib-2.28 stable news item
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:47:48
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:17:57 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 04/27/2011 10:46 AM, Duncan wrote:
4 >> Samuli Suominen posted on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:56:06 +0300 as excerpted:
5 >>
6 >>> You have 24 hours to comment on this news item. Sorry to put it so
7 >>> bluntly but this is required for major security bug (#364973).
8 >>
9 >> This is unclear. Should non-gnome users (I'm a kde user) set this to
10 >> prepare for the upgrade, or as a workaround until one actually
11 >> completes the upgrade?
12 >
13 > It's a permanent thing... I think the item is clear on that... "The
14 > default way has changed", no where implying this would go away or be
15 > temporary, or a workaround
16
17 FWIW, yes, the "default way has changed" bit was clear. It simply wasn't
18 (and remains not in the updated news item itself, but there's a link with
19 more info now...) immediately clear how the config changes we were being
20 asked to do related to that... in part because of the user vs. system
21 question.
22
23 But the updated version is all around better.
24
25 > The KDE desktop should set those mime's already, if you have selected
26 > default browser/mailclient from the desktops GUI apps. If not, file a
27 > bug for the KDE people.
28
29 Yes. I found the settings in the system-wide file. I've had no reason to
30 change them from system defaults, so they weren't in the user config, only
31 the system config. The new version allows that information to be
32 discovered far easier. =:^)
33
34 > The news item is targeted for stable users... presumably ~arch users
35 > know what they are doing. Hence the Display-If-Installed.
36
37 To the extent that everything seems to be working, yes.
38
39 However, in the context of a security bump with instructions for config
40 entries I don't see, that I don't fully understand the significance of and
41 with no link to further details, as I suppose most admins, I start asking
42 questions!
43
44 > Addressed the system-wide vs. user defined issue in the new draft
45 > (responded to the original post of this thread with it).
46 > Has a link now too.
47
48 Indeed. Much /much/ better now. =:^)
49
50 Thanks! =:^)
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman