From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:43:11
1 On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 22:17, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Barry Shaw said:
3 > > Is there any policy/ideas/consensus among developers about how long a
4 > > particular "version" will remain supported in portage? If not, it might
5 > > be a useful idea to set sunset dates for particular "versions" of gentoo
6 > > (as I doubt they are all going to be supported indefinitely). If there
7 > > is a clear end date, it prevents anyone being caught out unexpectedly.
8 >
9 > I generally keep a minimum of two ebuilds in, so testing for a newly
10 > introduced problem is easier. If I put out seven ebuilds in two weeks for
11 > some ungodly reason, I don't expect to be maintaining some sort of minimum
12 > lifetime for each ebuild -- just the newest two will stick around.
13 >
14 > We have no policy stating a minimum support lifetime for any given version
15 > right now (AFAIK, of course), despite a push for it amidst emphasis for
16 > Gentoo in the enterprise.
17
18 As Donnie said, there is no policy laid out.
19
20 In general, I will keep 2 versions in portage. Usually it is a stable
21 version, and a testing version. Depending on the ebuild, I will leave
22 more versions. For example, look at PXES or VMware Workstation. PXES
23 is something that would be in use and probably not easily upgraded for
24 everyone, so I have left every stable version in portage since I added
25 the package. VMware Workstation is a licensed product, so I leave one
26 version per license in the tree (3.x and 4.x). There are currently 2
27 4.x ebuilds simply because one is still in testing.
28
29 Then you have packages like gcc/glibc, which usually stay in the tree
30 for much, much longer.
31
32 With an enterprise version of Gentoo, there will need to be much more
33 help in maintaining certain packages, simply because patches will need
34 to be back-ported to older versions and other such headaches that most
35 other distributions must deal with.
36
37 Right now, we simply don't have the manpower to keep up with such
38 things, which is why we do not make things version dependent, where
39 possible.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
44 Gentoo Linux
45
46 Is your power animal a penguin?