From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:44:43
1 A few weeks back I filed a bug (since closed, but not resolved to my
2 satisfaction) on the premature removal of mm-sources and the fact that
3 no stable version was left in portage. This had the effect of breaking
4 a number of perfectly working systems and leaving no alternative but to
5 move to another kernel as the masked versions did not work (at the time)
6 - a major hassle. Without a kernel of that package in portage, packages
7 that depended on the installed kernel to build broke and couldnt be
8 installed.
9
10 I for one would like to see a policy for this as I feel that mm-sources
11 was done at the whim of a dev who was looking at his future, and wasnt
12 willing to consider the user base, leaving quite a number of us
13 stranded. His justification seemed to be that mm-sources should be
14 considered a dev package, so I should not have bothered - bug closed.
15
16 BillK