From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:42:07
1 > A few weeks back I filed a bug (since closed, but not resolved to my
2 > satisfaction) on the premature removal of mm-sources and the fact that
3 > no stable version was left in portage. This had the effect of breaking
4 > a number of perfectly working systems and leaving no alternative but to
5 > move to another kernel as the masked versions did not work (at the time)
6 > - a major hassle.
7
8 I'm probably missing something obvious, but even reading the original
9 bug report leaves me confused as to how a lack of stable mm-sources
10 ebuilds is breaking systems. Once mm-sources is installed anything
11 that needs a kernel tree should build just fine. (I don't think
12 we have anything in the tree that specifically requires mm-sources,
13 do we?) If the problem is that somebody wants to install mm-sources but
14 can't because all ebuilds are arch-masked, then that's what
15 /etc/portage/package.keywords is for.
16
17 I don't know what the official thinking on this is, but off-the-cuff I
18 would tend to think that _all_ mm-sources ebuilds should really be arch
19 masked, since mm-sources is both bleeding-edge (by definition) and a
20 fast-moving target, so one expects that mm-sources ebuilds aren't likely
21 to be in the tree long enough to really become "stable". Only
22 arch-masking release candidates seems a tad silly. I suppose that one
23 might argue that they should be package masked, but since new kernels
24 aren't built and used automatically, I would prefer to just leave it up
25 to users to decide whether or not to build and use any given kernel.
26
27 > I for one would like to see a policy for this as I feel that mm-sources
28 > was done at the whim of a dev who was looking at his future, and wasnt
29 > willing to consider the user base, leaving quite a number of us
30 > stranded. His justification seemed to be that mm-sources should be
31 > considered a dev package, so I should not have bothered - bug closed.
32
33 I agree that Greg's bug report was a tad terse, but I rather doubt that
34 your allegation of his motivation is correct.
35
36 Now, as to the actual issue at hand, the common unwritten policy is that
37 packages generally have one (or at most a few) stable ebuild(s) and zero
38 or more arch-masked ebuilds. Ideally, every mature package should have
39 a stable ebuild (preferably stable on every arch), but.... That said,
40 it's not a written policy because some packages have different needs,
41 and it's mostly up to the package maintainer to make those decisions.
42
43 Incidentally, we often have people suggest that ebuilds should never be
44 removed from the tree. Then these sorts of problems would never arise.
45 If you've done a new install recently, though, you already know how long
46 it takes to download the initial tree, and that's with fairly active
47 pruning. That's a problem that we don't have a really good solution
48 just yet, so for the moment we try to keep the tree pruned and we let
49 users who need old versions extract them from viewcvs.
50
51 Best,
52 g2boojum
53 --
54 Grant Goodyear
55 Gentoo Developer
56 g2boojum@g.o
57 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
58 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76