From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:16:20
1 On Friday 02 July 2004 10:41 am, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > I'm probably missing something obvious, but even reading the original
3 > bug report leaves me confused as to how a lack of stable mm-sources
4 > ebuilds is breaking systems. Once mm-sources is installed anything
5 > that needs a kernel tree should build just fine.
6
7 I think the problem comes in is if you have done exhaustive testing against
8 a specific profile, and subsequently want to deploy a series of new
9 systems using that profile-- which worked at one time, but now is broken
10 in one way or another because ebuilds were taken out of the tree. This
11 scenario is one of those "enterprise" problems, but one that I think could
12 be solved through repoman checks. Unless I'm completely mistaken about
13 what's being discussed here.
14
15 Cheers,
16 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]