From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:28:35
1 On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:15, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > I think the problem comes in is if you have done exhaustive testing against
3 > a specific profile, and subsequently want to deploy a series of new
4 > systems using that profile-- which worked at one time, but now is broken
5 > in one way or another because ebuilds were taken out of the tree. This
6 > scenario is one of those "enterprise" problems, but one that I think could
7 > be solved through repoman checks. Unless I'm completely mistaken about
8 > what's being discussed here.
9
10 While I can definitely see this position, nobody should consider Gentoo
11 to be 100% enterprise friendly without some leg work on the part of the
12 admin. A "tested profile" would also have to include specific versions,
13 otherwise there is no way that a person could properly certify the
14 validity of the test. The only way to ensure a stable (as in
15 non-moving) tree is to maintain a local tree, or to *never* sync. In
16 both cases, the actions of the Gentoo development team should have
17 absolutely zero impact on the user.
18
19 We understand that this is a limitation of Gentoo, which is why a GLEP
20 was drafted for the "stable" tree and also why there is a group of
21 people working to bring "Enterprise Gentoo" to fruition. Right now we
22 have no simple answer, other than for the administrator to be vigilant.
23 After all, simply running an emerge sync and updating packages without
24 certifying each one is definitely not "enterprise" policy at any large
25 outfit. No amount of repoman checking will solve this, as it is more of
26 a infrastructure problem than a technical one.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
31 Gentoo Linux
32
33 Is your power animal a penguin?