From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy for retirement of old gentoo 'versions'
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:07:58
1 On Friday 02 July 2004 4:29 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > A "tested profile" would also have to include specific versions,
3 > otherwise there is no way that a person could properly certify the
4 > validity of the test.
5
6 I agree. The profiles only list ~70 packages and those versions aren't
7 pinned. Although maybe they should be. The difference between the
8 versions in a tested configuration/profile and what ends up getting
9 installed later should include security updates (backported security
10 fixes) -- which is not something we do right now...
11
12 My point is that I believe we could address this (at least in part) by
13 pinning versions in profiles, and having repoman block commits that
14 attempt to remove ebuilds that are required by a profile. It's not a new
15 idea. This, instead of branching CVS. Although I'm not opposed to that
16 idea either, but IIRC some devs are...
17
18 Cheers,
19 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
20 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F