From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:13:37
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:51:01 +0200
Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
> I think you should start by describing the problem so we all could > understand it, and then we can start thinking about a solution.
It's simple: abusing versions and slots invalidates what is otherwise sensible logic. Thus in the long term we need to stop abusing versions and slots, and in the short term a mechanism is needed to indicate where this abuse happens. This is the short term fix.
> Is it that Paludis installs a newer SLOT even if a reverse dependency > explicitly requests another SLOT? Sounds like a bug to me.
No, it's that if a user requests a "complete" resolution, Paludis installs the newest version of things that it can. Extensive consultation with users has shown that this is a good behaviour, except in the small number of situations that have recently arisen where people are doing weird things with versions and slots. -- Ciaran McCreesh

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: PROPERTIES=funky-slots Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>