From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deleting old news items
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 22:40:43
1 On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 01/05/2018 10:28 PM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
5 > > On 2018-01-05 15:16, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > >> If we have a default expiration, it should be one year after the date
7 > >> posted to go along with our current policy of not supporting things that
8 > >> are older than a year.
9 > >>
10 > >> William
11 > >
12 > > I thought it was three years.
13 > >
14 > > At any rate, I think a year is too short.
15 > >
16 > > How about 18 months?
19 > I might sound like a broken CD here, but why define the expiration as
20 > part of the news format instead of specifying it in the package manager
21 > as a user defined variable? Various use cases requires different
22 > treatment, so leaving it up to user seems more relevant to me, and we
23 > could allow information to be presented as part of stages to give a hint
24 > for what dates to look for?
27 The short answer is I haven't seen any real use cases for it and even if we
28 were to spec it out and add it, I don't think it would be used by more than
29 10 people. To me that is an incentive to avoid complicating the software
30 spec.
31
32 -A
35 > --
36 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
37 > OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
38 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3