From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:33:27
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:21:58 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:16:45 +0100
5 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:49:17 -0800
7 > > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > The caching may not be of use, depending on your configuration.
9 > > > (For example, if you use a gentoo-x86 checkout as your main repo,
10 > > > you will probably want to run generate cache entries whenever you
11 > > > cvs up.) It is there to cache ebuild metadata, because if your
12 > > > depgraph has a few thousand nodes, having to spawn bash to
13 > > > generate the metadata for every node is very expensive.
14 > >
15 > > It sounds crazy to use gentoo-x86 without a cache; to some extent,
16 > > the earlier mentions on this ML by Ciaran that we should improve
17 > > input would make more sense if would want to run without a cache.
18 > > But I feel like this shouldn't be a topic of discussion unless we
19 > > intent 'works fast on a plain CV checkout' to be an actual feature.
20 >
21 > I think you're misunderstanding that comment. It's not just the file
22 > formats that are bad. It's also what data is provided. Two examples
23 > are the massive lengths we have to go to to figure out what to do
24 > with || dependencies (thanks to the horrific abuses commonly used in
25 > the tree...), and the well-documented REQUIRED_USE screwup.
26
27 Iotw, 'input'; but thank you for clarifying.
30 With kind regards,
31
32 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
36 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
37 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D