From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 01:58:51
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > This is not unlike the kerfufle that occurred when systemD was introduced
4 > not so long ago. To use it folks had to make major changes to their systems
5 > that took several months to iron out the kinks. Additionally, some of the
6 > folks
7 > pusing the change seemed to have a bad attitude about not caring that what
8 > they did had unintended consequences. (Enough so that Linus had some bad
9 > words for them!)
10
11 Are you maybe referring to some of the udev changes like persistent
12 network interface names? Systemd was never pushed out as a default
13 and switching over to it isn't a huge ordeal but it is certainly a
14 VERY deliberate one.
15
16 The exchange between Linus and Kay concerned an issue that only
17 happened when you were actually running systemd. It certainly
18 wouldn't impact any Gentoo user who didn't intentionally switch, or
19 users of just udev.
20
21 As far as I'm aware the udev changes were very well communicated using
22 news, and users were given options both for adapting to the change or
23 blocking the change from taking place. This is a fairly typical way
24 of handling something like this in Gentoo; we've never really been a
25 distro that automatically takes care of things if you don't read news.
26
27 Other distros can be a bit more auto-magic because they restrict the
28 user's options. When I set up a Gentoo box I need to pick my
29 preferred network manager and configure it. When I go installing some
30 other distro the interfaces all come up auto-magically, but if I want
31 to tweak something I end up having to hunt endlessly to figure out how
32 that distro does things, and try to make my tweaks in a way such that
33 the package manager won't revert it on the next update. I also
34 suspect that after I'm done all my tweaks the next time the distro
35 does some auto-magic updates (such as after something like the udev
36 change) I'll end up having to re-tweak things as it steps all over me.
37
38 And that is the benefit and cost of using Gentoo. You get to do
39 things your way, and we know you're going to do it your way, so we try
40 to warn you and equip you when things change and not step all over
41 you. However, it does limit the sorts of things we can automatically
42 update for you, because we have no idea how you've set it all up. We
43 give you the tools when you install your system, and we give you the
44 tools when it is time for renovations...
47 Rich