From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 01:23:49
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 > Seriously though, it makes more sense to have a conservative default
5 > (udev-settle). Especially since OpenRC is not well-equipped to deal
6 > with event-based device management.
9 It seems to me that the problem is one of somebody not caring that the
10 solution chosen can break an already functioning and stable system.
11
12 This is not unlike the kerfufle that occurred when systemD was introduced
13 not so long ago. To use it folks had to make major changes to their systems
14 that took several months to iron out the kinks. Additionally, some of the
15 folks
16 pusing the change seemed to have a bad attitude about not caring that what
17 they did had unintended consequences. (Enough so that Linus had some bad
18 words for them!)
19
20 It isn't that progress or systemD is "bad", (it did solve some problems) but
21 that the manner in which it was introduced and pushed was poorly handled.
22
23 To select a "solution" that breaks functioning systems is not (to me) an
24 acceptable course of action. It is no justification to remove udev-settle
25 to say that it "will speed thing up" as the only real advantage.
26
27 Out of curiosity, why do folks say that the use of LABEL=<name> is not
28 good? I realize that <name>s are not required when doing a mkfs, but if the
29 admin does so reliably and wants to use LABEL= thereafter, why should it be
30 "deprecated"?
34 G.Wolfe Woodbury
35 redwolfe@×××××.com