From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo and Root CAs
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 15:32:24
1 On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> The certificates that Gentoo distributes have at least been vouched
4 >> for by somebody who is a part of our community, which is more than can
5 >> be said for most of the upstream certificates.
6 >
7 > And you think "vouched for" by some community member is better than
8 > Mozilla's audit process, however limiting it may be?
9 >
10 > Yes, the CA system is broken, but it's what we've got for now. It
11 > seems obvious that including fewer CA roots in our base package is a
12 > better solution than including more of them, since (a) it's pretty
13 > easy for our users to install more of them, including at scale (via an
14 > overlay), and (b) actual security of a CA probably goes down
15 > exponentially as you move towards CA's with a lower level of trust
16 > placed in them by organizations like Mozilla.
17 >
18 > Speaking of which, say what you will about Mozilla's broken criteria
19 > for root inclusion, but Mozilla has no commercial interests,
20
21 Wait, what? How does taking income during a process not constitute a
22 commercial interest? That money goes to something that's in the
23 interest of the Mozilla Foundation, whether it's paying for
24 infrastructure, paying for developers to do their thing, sponsoring
25 this, that or the other thing...
26
27 Without money Mozilla wouldn't exist, ergo Mozilla is interested in
28 money, ergo taking money in exchange for bundling a root cert carries
29 its own interest outside of the security properties of bundling the
30 root cert.
31
32 So if Mozilla has an interest in cert security, and an interest in
33 money, than including certs for money carries with it an inherent
34 conflict of interest.
35
36 Such as the world is, things cannot be done without money to exchange
37 for goods and services, so any entity with interests beyond money
38 needs to manage such a conflict, one way or another. So, the question
39 comes around to how well the entity manages that conflict of interest,
40 via things like ombudsmen or independent (how?) audit processes. Or
41 how it's managed for them, via things like reputation. (And it sounds
42 to me like Rich is making a strong argument about the reputation
43 angle, both in favor of vouching, and for observing security problems
44 with people Mozilla still bundles.)
45
46 (That's all I've got for this thread. Going back to lurking.)
50 :wq