From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: reduce conflicts, separate keywording from ebuilds
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:19:06
1 Bryan Østergaard wrote:
2 > A. ~arch keywords are supposed to be carried over to new versions unless
3 > we're talking about big rewrites or similar (so old versions doesn't
4 > have to linger around in portage tree at all).
5 right, we all agree :)
6
7 > B. If we're complaining about MIPS team not being able to ~mips kde-meta
8 > on time we need to remove all the arch teams that falls behind from
9 > time. I think that leaves us with maybe x86, amd64, sparc as *the only*
10 > arch teams allowed to keyword kde-meta which is completely insane and an
11 > insult to our users.
12 every arch team is allowed to keyword kde-meta, just they should not
13 complain about their keywords not being on bumps when they are late.
14
15 Keyword<->ebuild separation allows to clearly show the arch teams that
16 they are responsible and allows the developers not to get into conflict
17 here. It clearly would have avoided the recent conflict.
18
19 The problem is with ebuild developers like me having no means to get
20 arch teams to keyword stuff yet we are responsible if something fails
21 and we get bugs assigned.
22
23 > [remove kde-meta talk]
24 >
25 > Besides that splitting keywords out from ebuilds doesn't solve
26 > *anything* at all related to this as the ebuilds *still* have to stay
27 > around as long as they have keywords. Just like current policy says.
28 > Moving metadata to another place doesn't change that at all.
29
30 yeah. A script for removing all ebuilds that are allowed to be removed
31 by policy would be cool. Sadly I don't have one currently :(
32
33 We can for example also offer x86-only sync trees without all the
34 ebuilds that are only relevant to the other arches.
35
36 Best regards,
37 Stefan
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list