From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: reduce conflicts, separate keywording from ebuilds
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:37:36
1 On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:54:55AM +0100, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > To my fellow arguing Gentoo developers,
3 >
4 > due to the recent conflict concerning keywording I want to propose to
5 > separate keywording completely from ebuilds. The keywords would reside
6 > in a special file in profiles/, maybe even in more than one file to
7 > allow more granular permissions. For example only mips developers can
8 > access
9 > the mips keywording file then.
10 >
11 > The arch team can then decide themselves which ebuild they want to mark
12 > ~arch and they can take care of possible new dependencies themselves.
13 >
14 > Also currently kde keywording/stabling needs ~300 commits. The problem
15 > being that all changes files also get transferred in a rsync. A separate
16 > keywording file would be the only one changed thus greatly reducing the
17 > sync time.
18 >
19 That's lame for several different reasons that I'm going to outline
20 below and frankly anybody blowing steam about ~arch keywording the
21 latest version (which ended up as being the goal yesterday) is being
22 extremely silly.
23
24 Anyway, here's several reasons why it's lame - I'm sure there's even
25 more good reasons but these should suffer:
26
27 A. ~arch keywords are supposed to be carried over to new versions unless
28 we're talking about big rewrites or similar (so old versions doesn't
29 have to linger around in portage tree at all).
30
31 B. If we're complaining about MIPS team not being able to ~mips kde-meta
32 on time we need to remove all the arch teams that falls behind from
33 time. I think that leaves us with maybe x86, amd64, sparc as *the only*
34 arch teams allowed to keyword kde-meta which is completely insane and an
35 insult to our users.
36
37 C. If (as Diego told me) portage is being too slow regenerating cache
38 because of an extra 300 kde-meta ebuilds in the tree we have to sane
41 - C1. Remove kde-meta completely as it's breaking our package manager.
42
43 - C2. Fix portage immediately or switch to a package manager that works.
44
45 Now, all of the above is insane as I think everybody can agree so please
46 stop making a big fuss about this. An extra 300 kde-meta ebuilds
47 shouldn't:
48
49 D. Be in the tree at all unless KDE team thinks it's fun to drop all the
50 ~arch keywords.
51
52 E. Be a problem for the package manager (or we got bigger problems on
53 our hand which would basically force us to stop adding new packages to
54 the tree until resolved).
55
56 Besides that splitting keywords out from ebuilds doesn't solve
57 *anything* at all related to this as the ebuilds *still* have to stay
58 around as long as they have keywords. Just like current policy says.
59 Moving metadata to another place doesn't change that at all.
60
61 Regards,
62 Bryan Østergaard
63 --