From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Miguel Sousa Filipe <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] idea for speeding up the boot process in Gentoo..
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 22:27:30
1 On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 07:14, Miguel Sousa Filipe wrote:
2 > I'll quote a paragraph taken from arts technica about Mac OX X 10.2 "Jaguar"
3 > <begin>
4 >
5 > Boot time is substantially faster in Jaguar, thanks largely to its
6 > ability to start services in parallel, provided there are no
7 > dependencies between them (e.g. network time synchronization can't start
8 > until the network is up.) This is especially helpful when one of the
9 > startup items takes a long time to complete (e.g. requesting an IP
10 > address from a busy DHCP server.) Rather than blocking the entire boot
11 > sequence while waiting for this long-running task to complete, Jaguar
12 > will continue to launch other independent services.
13 >
14 > <end>
15 >
16 > This should not be very dificult to do with the gentoo booting sequence.
17 > Calling the scripts with the '&' in the end of the comman should to the
18 > trick I believe. And shouldn't ever make the boot process longer than a
19 > streamlined one.. (theoretically i guess).
20 > Also all smp machines and users would wellcome such feature.
21 >
22 > My request is... please put this in gentoo 1.4 ... or at least discuss
23 > this, because if there are any second effects or technical dificulties
24 > in implementing it would be nice so see this debated..
27 Ok, so when last did you compare out bootup time to say Redhat ? :P
28
29 I had to install redhat this week to get drivers for Intel 845G (xfree)
30 compiled, and man ... its slooow.
31
32 Also, adding the meganism to to start things in parallel, do checks to
33 wat is finished, and what should be started (scheduler), could prove to
34 be much more overhead then there is already. Guess you could do it in C
35 or something, but that will make it less transparent and more difficult
36 to maintain.
37
38 > TIA
39 > from: Miguel Sousa Filipe (aka m3thos @ IRC)