From: Miguel Sousa Filipe <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] idea for speeding up the boot process in Gentoo..
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:10:26
1 I'll quote a paragraph taken from arts technica about Mac OX X 10.2 "Jaguar"
2 <begin>
3
4 Boot time is substantially faster in Jaguar, thanks largely to its
5 ability to start services in parallel, provided there are no
6 dependencies between them (e.g. network time synchronization can't start
7 until the network is up.) This is especially helpful when one of the
8 startup items takes a long time to complete (e.g. requesting an IP
9 address from a busy DHCP server.) Rather than blocking the entire boot
10 sequence while waiting for this long-running task to complete, Jaguar
11 will continue to launch other independent services.
12
13 <end>
14
15 This should not be very dificult to do with the gentoo booting sequence.
16 Calling the scripts with the '&' in the end of the comman should to the
17 trick I believe. And shouldn't ever make the boot process longer than a
18 streamlined one.. (theoretically i guess).
19 Also all smp machines and users would wellcome such feature.
20
21 My request is... please put this in gentoo 1.4 ... or at least discuss
22 this, because if there are any second effects or technical dificulties
23 in implementing it would be nice so see this debated..
24
25 TIA
26 from: Miguel Sousa Filipe (aka m3thos @ IRC)
27 'more human than human'