From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage: missing pieces
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:37:42
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > Having dozens (hundreds? all?) ebuilds check for a minimum version
3
4 Probably just the ebuilds that happen to use new GCC features before
5 the mass of the general public has changed to that version. But yes,
6 a minimum version constraint could theoretically end up in a lot of
7 packages.
8
9 > of gcc doesn't seem very effecient.
10
11 I can't see why it would not be efficient?
12
13 > I don't think the issue is as simple as either having xine-lib put
14 > out a warning about a particular gcc version, as that doesn't work
15 > in the general case.
16
17 Obviously any solution implemented should work for all ebuilds, not
18 just xine-lib.
19
20 > And putting the checks in portage doesn't seem to work very well
21 > either.
22
23 I fail to see how a test in the ebuild for the active
24 GCC compiler version wouldn't work?
25
26 > The system as it is now actually seems to work about right... the
27 > vast majority of stable users upgrade to new versions of gcc as they
28 > come out
29
30 Really?
31 How do you gather?
32 I'd think that most users hadn't even run into this problem (yet),
33 because many source code maintainers strive to be able to compile with
34 as old a version of GCC as possible..
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list