From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage: missing pieces
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:21:40
1 On 7/10/06, Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > of gcc doesn't seem very effecient.
4 >
5 > I can't see why it would not be efficient?
6
7 I think it is an inefficient use of developer time. Do we really want
8 gentoo devs spending their time figuring out what the minimum gcc
9 version is for their packages, and then having very similar code
10 duplicated in every ebuild in the tree? Is the problem really so
11 serious that it requires that much effort?
12
13 I am not saying that there should never be a check for a minimum gcc
14 version...maybe if a large enough population of users is having a
15 problem with a particular package because of gcc, then that package
16 _should_ have a check with an appropriate "stop using obsolete gcc
17 versions" message. But it should only be done in response to bug
18 filings, and at the discretion of the package maintainer.
19
20 And let's remember that this is a ~arch package. The expectations of
21 people using ~arch is higher than for the stable tree. Indeed, you
22 would probably see a completely different response if this was a
23 problem using the ~x86 gcc to build the ~x86 xine-lib.
24
25 > > And putting the checks in portage doesn't seem to work very well
26 > > either.
27 >
28 > I fail to see how a test in the ebuild for the active
29 > GCC compiler version wouldn't work?
30
31 But that isn't putting a check "in portage", it is adding it to the ebuilds.
32
33 > > The system as it is now actually seems to work about right... the
34 > > vast majority of stable users upgrade to new versions of gcc as they
35 > > come out
36 >
37 > I'd think that most users hadn't even run into this problem (yet),
38
39 Agreed...
40
41 > because many source code maintainers strive to be able to compile with
42 > as old a version of GCC as possible..
43
44 or alternatively, because most users upgrade gcc to the current
45 version before running into such problems.
46
47 -Richard
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list