From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Editing RDEPEND without a new revision (again)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 02:36:39
1 Here we go again. All week I've been trying to update @world. I'm trying
2 to troubleshoot a portage bug[0], deal with portage taking forever to
3 fail, and now I've got to deal with the fact that someone was too clever
4 to follow the PMS and replaced virtual/pam with sys-libs/pam across the
5 entire tree (and immediately masked the package that we all have
6 installed) without creating any new revisions.
7
8 Thanks to the aforementioned portage bug, I can't follow the non-PMS
9 suggestion to update everything with --changed-deps. So I either have to
10 live with the fact that I have a masked package (virtual/pam) installed
11 -- which pisses portage off and makes it impossible to troubleshoot my
12 dependency resolution problem -- or try to uninstall it and then resolve
13 the rebuilds myself. This is how that goes:
14
15 $ time emerge -puDN --tree @world
16
17 These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
18
19 Calculating dependencies... done!
20 [nomerge ] net-print/cups-2.2.12
21 [ebuild N #] virtual/pam-0-r1
22
23 The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
24 (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
25 ...
26 =virtual/pam-0-r1
27
28 NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
29 from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.
30
31 * In order to avoid wasting time, backtracking has terminated early
32 * due to the above autounmask change(s). The --autounmask-backtrack=y
33 * option can be used to force further backtracking, but there is no
34 * guarantee that it will produce a solution.
35
36 real 4m37.909s
37 user 4m35.287s
38 sys 0m1.437s
41 Now I re-emerge cups, and try again. Then net-fs/samba fails. Then
42 sys-libs/libcap fails. Then sys-apps/shadow fails. Then
43 x11-themes/slim-themes fails. And so on. These are all things that I
44 have to sit in front of the keyboard for 4m37.909s, time and time again
45 to deal with, all because RDEPEND was changed without a new revision.
46
47 That's it, that's all I did for Gentoo today. I started out at 8am
48 trying to fix two bugs, and I spent all of my free time today unfucking
49 my system. Now it's 6pm and I'm out of time with nothing accomplished. I
50 haven't even found all of the packages that I need to rebuild yet, so
51 this is where I'll start again tomorrow, too.
52
53 And it's not like this is a rare problem. Please, just follow the damned
54 PMS and make a new revision when you change dependencies. It's not much
55 harder to do things right, so cutting corners and wasting my whole day
56 is pretty selfish. And as a bonus, the people who don't use portage
57 won't think you're an asshole for telling them to fix the problem by
58 using portage.
61 [0] https://bugs.gentoo.org/698232