From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:50:32
1 On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:13:09 +0200
2 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Curtis Napier wrote:
5 > > I could find a million threads in the forums supporting what Ciaran
6 > > is saying here. We have been told over and over and over until my
7 > > head feels bashed in that MMX/SSE, etc... are NOT TO BE PUT IN
8 > > CFLAGS!! THAT IS WHAT USE FLAGS ARE FOR!!!!
9 > >
10 > > Every developer who has ever commented on one of these threads has
11 > > always agreed with that. Put it in USE not CLFAGS.
12 >
13 > That's because CFLAGS="-msse" currently doesn't do what the user
14 > would think it does. Which is the real problem, which we're solving
15 > with the change Diego suggested.
16
17 Huh? What do you assume users think that CFLAGS=-msse does?
18 I know some people get confused by the mmx/sse/whatever use flags, but
19 I've never seen anybody assuming that CFLAGS determine if a patch
20 should be applied/configure switch enabled.
21 (I'm not arguing about the proposal itself here, just this argument is
22 bullshit)
23
24 Marius
29 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
30 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.