From: Phil Richards <news@××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] What is classified as a "blocker" bug?
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:58:35
1 I try to make sure that when I file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org
2 that I set an "appropriate" severity.
3
4 Recently, I tried to emerge glademm with gcc 3.3.1 and it
5 failed to compile. I felt that given the description of
6 severities in the bugzilla:
7
8 Blocker Blocks development and/or testing work
9 Critical crashes, loss of data, severe memory leak
10 Major major loss of function
11 Minor minor loss of function, or other problem
12 where easy workaround is present
13 Trivial cosmetic problem like misspelled words
14 or misaligned text
15 Enhancement Request for enhancement
16
17 then the appropriate severity is "Blocker".
18
19 Clearly, I was wrong because it got downgraded to a "major" -
20 I suspect that this was because I gave a hacky workaround.
21
22 Fair enough. But could somebody please clarify what the
23 severities *really* mean? Preferably on bugzilla itself.
24 (Given the above descriptions, I would have expected a
25 downgrade based on having a workaround to be "minor", so
26 I'm doubly confused.)
27
28 I don't actually care what severity is used - but I do like
29 to get the right one. Or should I just not bother setting
30 it in future?
31
32 phil
33 --