From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Grobian <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:37:29
1 7.11.2005, 9:41:04, Grobian wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:56:35PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >> | Then what is the point of this GLEP? Instead, just warn people
5 >> | through existing intrastructure, which is cheap from an engineering
6 >> | perspective because everything is already there in place, and don't
7 >> | think of implementing all kinds of extras just to warn a user one
8 >> | extra time, since "trying to warn them any further becomes futile"
9 >> | anyway.
10 >>
11 >> The current warning levels we have are insufficient. This GLEP proposes
12 >> a new system for warnings which will be far harder to accidentally
13 >> ignore. There are, however, limits to how far we can reasonably go
14 >> before we make the solution worse than the problem.
15
16 > Remember that there are packages in the tree that satisfy the preemptive
17 > requirement, since they simply die when trying to upgrade and a certain
18 > amount of prerequisites is not met. This prevents the user from losing
19 > data files or making them inaccesible, while at the same pointing out
20 > what needs to be done and why, using a short message.
21
22 Uhm, breaking the emerge chain in *not* an alternative to this GLEP, in no
23 way... Leaving the rest of the upcoming rant/flame for ciaranm's pleasure. :=)
27 Best regards,
28
29 Jakub Moc
30 mailto:jakub@g.o
31 GPG signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
32 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
33
34 ... still no signature ;)