From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:43:36
1 On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:56:35PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | Then what is the point of this GLEP? Instead, just warn people
3 > | through existing intrastructure, which is cheap from an engineering
4 > | perspective because everything is already there in place, and don't
5 > | think of implementing all kinds of extras just to warn a user one
6 > | extra time, since "trying to warn them any further becomes futile"
7 > | anyway.
8 >
9 > The current warning levels we have are insufficient. This GLEP proposes
10 > a new system for warnings which will be far harder to accidentally
11 > ignore. There are, however, limits to how far we can reasonably go
12 > before we make the solution worse than the problem.
13
14 Remember that there are packages in the tree that satisfy the preemptive
15 requirement, since they simply die when trying to upgrade and a certain
16 amount of prerequisites is not met. This prevents the user from losing
17 data files or making them inaccesible, while at the same pointing out
18 what needs to be done and why, using a short message.
22 Fabian Groffen
23 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list