From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:26:47
1 On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:41:04 +0100 Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 | Remember that there are packages in the tree that satisfy the
3 | preemptive requirement, since they simply die when trying to upgrade
4 | and a certain amount of prerequisites is not met. This prevents the
5 | user from losing data files or making them inaccesible, while at the
6 | same pointing out what needs to be done and why, using a short
7 | message.
8
9 Yick! We really really really don't want to do that. A die in an ebuild
10 would ideally only be triggered for unexpected build errors caused by
11 things like the user running out of disk space. Getting hit by a die
12 on something you've left to run overnight is a real nuisance.
13
14 As it stands, we have a few unfortunate situations (built_with_use)
15 where it's currently necessary to do premeditated dies, but the aim is
16 to reduce these (eg by adding foo[bar] deps to portage), not add in
17 even more.
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Anti-XML, anti-newbie conspiracy)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm