From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Wordiness
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 07:06:14
1 Matt Turner posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:29:09 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 > Do you realize that you just wrote a two-and-a-half page single-spaced
7 > thousand-word email? Seriously, this is way too much. This mailing list
8 > is way too much.
9
10 173 lines (of about 72 chars) according to my client (reporting the value
11 given in the gmane overviews, I believe). 150+, including quoted
12 material of perhaps 20-50 lines, aren't unusual here. 400+ are not
13 unheard of.
14
15 I was posting a bit of gentoo history behind a policy in question.
16 History tends to /be/ a bit wordy at a reasonable level of detail, as
17 necessary there to explain the reasoning[1] behind the policy being
18 questioned.
19
20 ---
21 [1] Again, as I understand it, subject to correction by others there and
22 closer to the process. No claims of infallibility here!
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman