From: Nick Jones <carpaski@××××××.net>
To: Chris Frey <cdfrey@×××××××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge regen
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 09:20:41
1 > Can anyone point me at documentation describing what the 'regen'
2 > option does on emerge? The man page is the only place I've found,
3 > and it basically tells me to use rsync.
4 >
5 > What I want to do is create a separate portage tree that I can
6 > manually rync into, and copy over .ebuild files as I need them, into the
7 > main /usr/portage tree.
8
9 emerge regen causes portage to generate all missing cache entries
10 for any ebuild in the portage tree, as well as regenerate the ones
11 marked as expired due to an eclass change or the ebuild itself
12 changing.
13
14 It's a forced caching, basically. 'emerge sync' does the same thing
15 but does it with an extreme difference in speed by using the cache
16 that's generated on gentoo's servers. A complete regeneration can
17 take upwards of two hours, depending on the speed of the machine.
18
19 I'm not entirely certain what you're doing but the only use for
20 this function for non-cvs users is for the generation of a metadata
21 cache. As Gentoo does this itself, it seems unlikely that this
22 really is going to benefit anything you're trying to accomplish,
23 unless you have a _very_ large set of ebuilds that you're
24 incorporating into a private rsync tree.
25
26 --NJ
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list