From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 01:19:40
1 On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 06:20:41PM -0400, Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o> said:
3 > > I agree. But Python 3.1 doesn't have more issues than Python 2.6, so
4 > > the stabilization is reasonable.
5 >
6 > And how about all of the packages in the tree that use python? You are
7 > missing that huge part. That's like saying libfoo works absolutely
8 > great, but every single application that links to libfoo now breaks with
9 > the new release of libfoo-2.0. The things that use your package are
10 > just as important when looking to stablize something or to move it out
11 > of package.mask.
12
13 Mark pretty much nailed it on the head. Before even looking at
14 stabilizing py3k it probably would be a good idea to identify what
15 libs/frameworks actually *work* with it out of the box.
16
17 Keep in mind that gentoo pkging of python ebuilds isn't slotted on
18 python version- meaning you wind up with either setuptools for 2.5 or
19 for 2.6. Then you take a look at the larger frameworks like
20 numpy and twisted to see if they actually support 3k w/ existing
21 releases. Not a huge number do, at least for actual releases (random
22 branches don't count here).
23
24 If the big boys don't support 3k yet, it doesn't much matter if the
25 small fry do, thus the gain from having py3k stabilized is way less
26 and the cost in terms of user annoyance is way larger.
27
28 Regardless of the potential portage issue, I honestly don't think the
29 state of python libs is at the point that running purely py3k w/
30 single slotting of python pkgs is viable.
31
32 Basically what gain is there? Stabilizing it at this point
33 comes off as "whee, we have py3k stabilized! Now go mask it on all
34 of your boxes since not a lot of the useful things play nice with
35 it right now!"
36
37 My 2 cents.
38 ~harring