From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27 Proposal - Feedback Requested
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:37:59
1 On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 09:14:01AM +0200, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > Hello Mike,
3 >
4 > Am Dienstag, 30. Mai 2006 05:29 schrieb Mike Kelly:
5 > > I'm Mike Kelly, one of the SoC-ers. I'll be working on GLEP 27 for
6 > > the summer. Right now I'm looking for some basic feedback on my
7 > > proposal.
8 > >
9 > > In particular, I know that at one point there was a push for the user
10 > > info files to be XML, but I think it may be easier to implement them
11 > > as simple shell variable files (like /etc/conf.d/*), since my plan
12 > > was to write the core of the implementation in shell (e.g. as an
13 > > eclass).
14 > >
15 > From your proposal:
16 >
17 > - Add code to the eutils.eclass which will detect if the installed
18 > version of portage supports the new system, notifies the operator
19 > that the current ebuild is using depreciated code, and properly add
20 > the user using the new system's code. This would check for the
21 > proper EAPI version to know when to execute the new code instead.
22 >
23 > As a member of Release Engineering who encountered already a problem
24 > with user-management code in eutils.eclass, i beg you: _pleeeease_
25 > don't add it to that eclass. Instead, create a new eclass 'euser' or
26 > something similar and add it there.
27
28 Commented in irc re: this, but eclass doesn't really fly- if it's
29 implemented strictly in an eclass, portage has no way of easily
30 reverting the changes (mainly cause it's not aware of 'em) if the
31 build fails, thus the user/group isn't needed. Same for unmerging.
32
33 Further, if implemented strictly as a trick in one of the ebuild
34 phases, setup is the likely place- means that setup cannot be deprived
35 to non-root for running it (thorn in the side for trying to depriv all
36 phases).
37
38 So... need it higher up then implemented in one of the ebuild phases.
39 :)
40 ~harring