From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: making the firefox USE flag a global one
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:42:28
1 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> posted 44BDE23D.8090805@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:41:49 +0200:
3
4 > Hanno Böck wrote:
5 >> Am Dienstag, 18. Juli 2006 14:06 schrieb Simon Stelling:
6 >>> If nobody objects, I'd like to push that change through in two weeks.
7 >>
8 >> As most of then are "use ff instead of mozilla" and that'll be deprecated in
9 >> favour of using ff by default and seamonkey by seamonkey useflag, I don't
10 >> think this makes sense.
11 >
12 > I can't follow, sorry. Sure, the new flag will be 'build against ff instead of
13 > seamonkey', but then it's still valid use, no?
14
15 I believe he meant that build against ff should be the default (where one
16 or the other is required), thus need no USE flag. USE=seamonkey would be
17 the alternative, where the alternative was formerly ff and the default
18 mozilla (which then needed no USE flag).
19
20 This however breaks down where neither one is required, in which case
21 they'd both be optional and USE=firefox would remain a valid flag. He was
22 making the case, tho (whether valid or not I don't know), that most of the
23 current USE=firefox flags are where it was an alternate to a default
24 mozilla as a required dep, and that if ff is to now be the default, the
25 flag would no longer be needed in those cases, with the implication that a
26 USE=seamonkey flag would be needed instead.
27
28 That's how I read the message, anyway... of course assuming mine is any
29 easier to parse. =8^)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list