From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:38:09
1 On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 22:31 +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > Incidentally, the sources don't have to be on all the mirrors,
3 > assuming that's a problem at all. We could supply just one source server
4 > and rate-limit it; after all over the long term very few people will
5 > actually need to retrieve source for older releases, and when releases
6 > are new the sources are available much more easily via emerge and the
7 > mirrors. Might be worth while making that clear to people downloading
8 > the CDs.
9
10 The sources don't have to be on *any* mirrors.
11
12 We can simply burn them all to a DVD and put an offer on the CD on how
13 to get the sources, then distribute it for the cost of the DVD/shipping.
14 Another idea would be to put the CD/DVD/whatever on the store, with 0
15 mark-up. That would mean we would be distributing it, at cost, upon
16 request. There's nothing in the GPL that says that we have to increase
17 the disk space *or* the bandwidth usage of *any* machines to comply.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
22 x86 Architecture Team
23 Games - Developer