From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:40:10
1 On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:16:51AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:12:47 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > Package manager maintainers refusing to do basic testing before
6 > > > claiming support for a new EAPI has very messy consequences. If
7 > > > package manager maintainers aren't going to do the responsible
8 > > > thing, the whole point of EAPIs is lost.
9 > >
10 > > Thats a circular argument since portage and pkgcore developers are
11 > > complaining about eapi definition and PMS management.
12 >
13 > Are you seriously suggesting that the portage and pkgcore developers
14 > think that they should be able to release a package manager that claims
15 > to support an EAPI when it in fact doesn't?
16
17 When paludis hit the tree, it claimed to support eapi0. Did it fully?
18
19 No, bugs existed.
20
21 Via your logic, paludis should've never been in the tree.
22
23 See the failing here? Bugs occur, you're claiming perfection is
24 required when your own code hasn't met said standards.
25
26 You're also dodging the fact that apparently you've known about eapi1
27 incompatibilities and intentionally withheld that information for
28 the apparent purpose of discrediting pkgcore. You've been stating for
29 a long while eapi1 support was broke- for the default iuse support
30 months back, and ongoing- I get the very strong vibe you've been
31 sitting on bugs for a long while.
32
33 I've put up with lies from y'all for a long while- simplest gross
34 example is the claims pkgcore devs were forking the format when
35 in actuality paludis devs (you) were forking off exheres at the
36 time of the accusation. I'm accustomed to that bullshit, and I
37 stomach it because limited dealing with you benefits gentoo, at least
38 as long as you wield the political hammer that is PMS.
39
40 What's over the line however is that via your withholding of
41 information, you intentionally allowing users to see breakage to try
42 and discredit the competition.
43
44 That's not acceptable in any form. Actual bug reports, for ebuild
45 support bugs turn around (including release) for pkgcore is typically
46 within same day. I give a *damn* about compatibility, even if it
47 means enabling paludis to grow (thus providing more power for your
48 insepid games).
49
50 The fact that the -r0 incident occured out of the blue a month or two
51 back isn't exactly heartening either- proving it was intentional
52 breakage admittedly is not possible. However considering the
53 behaviour displayed here, it's a pretty logical assumption to presume
54 the -r0 was an intentional breakage for yet more discrediting BS.
55
56 You pulled a pretty major no-no here, and the fact you can't admit it
57 is pretty fricking sad.
58
59 ~harring