From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:49:27
1 On Thursday 01 September 2005 19:10, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > The recent discussion about having a "real" x86 arch team and combining
3 > the x86 and amd64 keywords was both interesting and provocative.
4
5 aha? Not in the list, is it?
6
7 > Of course, this is the sort of thing that the GLEP system was meant for.
8 > Now that we have a new council that (I hope) will be active in approving
9 > or rejecting GLEPs, perhaps someone should be writing a GLEP about
10 > combining x86 and amd64?
11
12 This just leads me to assume you're not really a coder (wrt native programming
13 languages like C/C++), are you?
14
15 I mean, x86 (32bit) and amd64 (64bit) ARE NOT THE SAME ARCH.
16 This is simply demonstrated by all those ugly pointer-to-integer conversions
17 that often happen when you write on your legacy x86 architecture.
18 However, when you try to compile it on an amd64 e.g., you just can't as gcc
19 WILL bail out.
20 Having now a x86amd64-alike keyword instead of x86 and amd64 will just make
21 lots of user's emerge experiences pain ass.
22 Of course, OTOH, while our bugs db gets flooded with reports, this *could* be
23 a startup for us to know *what* packages needs fixing. But that way, we would
24 be jast far off enterprise.
25
26 Here's an example that works on x86 but *not* an amd64:
27
28 // g++ -o test32vs64bit test32vs64bit.cpp
29 #include <cstdlib>
30
31 int main() {
32 void *p = NULL;
33 unsigned u = (unsigned)p; // ok on x86; error on amd64
34
35 p = (void *)u; // ok on x86; error on amd64
36
37 return 0;
38 }
39
40 Of course, you might think WTF do some guy need this, but hey, programmers are
41 really creative, and use what the compiler accepts - I myself ran into this
42 while porting my apps/libs to amd64. And think of it, not everybody has the
43 money to grab one.
44
45 Congrats,
46 Christian Parpart.