From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: cdrtools license issues
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 03:40:50
1 On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 16:59 +0200, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Friday 01 September 2006 15:45, Luis Medinas wrote:
3 > > I'm sure that situation will be fixed by the upstream (Jörg) since it
4 > > violates GPL license. About the debian fork we will take a look at it
5 > > and see where's going.
6 >
7 > Read the Debian bug. Jörg Schilling is badmouthing Debian developers and tells
8 > everyone that they should _believe_him_ that the CDDL is compatible with the
9 > GPL, while no one else thinks so. It is unlikely that the overly
10 > self-convinced Jörg Schilling will change his mind. I'd be surprised, if the
11 > situation will be fixed upstream.
14 Now i know the real story since i've been talking with Debian
15 Maintainers. So there's isn't anything to say but we are working close
16 to upstream and they actually offer commit access to maintainers of
17 another distros. Cdrkit project sounds much more like an open project
18 than cdrtools so i'll be with them. This was pretty much what happened
19 with Xfree/Xorg. So cdrtools will be the "close" project and cdrkit the
20 "open" project. Like i said before Gentoo joined this new project.
21 Now the license problems are fixed and we can ship this on our portage
22 tree tarballs for our new releases etc...
23
24 The package is in the tree and it's asking for testing before i can
25 remove it from pkg.mask and provide the cdrtools virtual.
28 Gentoo Linux Developer
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list