From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-server
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:55:33
1 On Friday 26 November 2004 17:17, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > One thing I have always noticed about gentoo is that it is lacking in
3 > the server department, for whatever reason. I was wondering if there
4 > are any plans to remedy this, I have thought about a few possible
5 > ideas.
6 >
7 > 1) add an emerge server-system class, this class would contain apps
8 > that may not be as new, but they would be known to be stable, and work
9 > well with everything. THe last thing a server admin needs is to be
10 > debugging which package in an emerge -aDuv world is messing up.
11 >
12 > 2) make better use of glsa-check, maybe an addon that parses that
13 > output and automatically does upgrades known not to break anything.
14 >
15 > 3) I dunno.... what do you think?
16 >
17 > Is this a possibilty//has it been talked about at all?
18 This is actively been worked on. See:
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/index.xml
21
22 and for a stable portage tree see:
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html
25
26 We're currently in the process of selecting which packages should go into the
27 proposed stable tree.
28
29 PS: Perhaps gentoo-server is a better list to discuss this on:-)
32 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)
33 Operational Manager
34 Gentoo Linux Security Team