From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mjo@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: go 1.13 and go modules
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 19:04:59
1 On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 02:54:51PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 9/9/19 2:19 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > On 9/9/19 10:34 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> There is another option I want to try which is adding "go mod vendor" to
6 > >> src_unpack for go packages.
7 > >
8 > > If you do that then it will violate FEATURES=network-sandbox (default)
9 > > unless you also do PROPERTIES+=" live".
10 > >
11 > > We could add a separate PROPERTIES value for this, I've suggested it
12 > > before but both Michał Górny and Ulrich Mueller were against it:
15 > This is the precisely what FEATURES=network-sandbox exists to prevent.
16 >
17 > Bundling dependencies, hitting the network, shelling out to a
18 > language-specific package manager, depending on specific upstream
19 > commits, and sidestepping existing QA mechanisms to make this all
20 > possible... it's bad idea bingo.
21
22 Michael,
23
24 Please read all of the info on go modules. In particular, I don't think
25 you read the info about the mirror database and checksum verification.
26
27 William