From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc ebuilds
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:00:01
1 Tod M. Neidt wrote: [Mon Nov 12 2001, 09:37:36AM EST]
2 > I recently, updated several gnome-apps to the current versions (I'm
3 > composing this in evo 0.99, thanks hallski!). While updating, I ran
4 > into a couple situations where I hosed my gnome-session out from under
5 > myself. Normally, you can safely emerge a gnome-app while running a
6 > gnome-session. However, if the app emerge triggers an update of one of
7 > the underlying libs through a dependency you will promptly shoot
8 > yourself in the foot. This happened to me when imlib and gdk-pixbuf
9 > were updated while emerging the new evolution and gnumeric. It would be
10 > nice if *critical* gnome-libs ebuilds would check to make sure you are
11 > not running a gnome-session before merging, and ask you to drop down
12 > into console mode to do the merge.
13
14 Normally it should not be a problem to install a new version of
15 a library even when programs are currently loaded that are using the
16 older version. The problem here is actually that Portage is overwriting
17 the library without unlinking it first. Since the library is mmap'd, it
18 results in offsets being all wrong, so the application (gnome-session in
19 this case) segfaults.
20
21 Aron