From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tneidt@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc ebuilds
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:35:31
1 Hi!
2
3 > Is there any fundamentally good reason why you don't check for the
4 > presence of /tmp/.X?-lock, which XFree itself checks for to determine if
5 > an existing X is running ?
8 Yes... my blatant ignorance of X! :) You are right /tmp/.X?-lock is
9 the way to check for X running. As you can tell, I have no qualms about
10 baring my ass in public. That said, sheild your eyes.
11
12 I recently, updated several gnome-apps to the current versions (I'm
13 composing this in evo 0.99, thanks hallski!). While updating, I ran
14 into a couple situations where I hosed my gnome-session out from under
15 myself. Normally, you can safely emerge a gnome-app while running a
16 gnome-session. However, if the app emerge triggers an update of one of
17 the underlying libs through a dependency you will promptly shoot
18 yourself in the foot. This happened to me when imlib and gdk-pixbuf
19 were updated while emerging the new evolution and gnumeric. It would be
20 nice if *critical* gnome-libs ebuilds would check to make sure you are
21 not running a gnome-session before merging, and ask you to drop down
22 into console mode to do the merge.
23
24 I assume that a kde or other desktop environments would have similar
25 situations.
26
27 tod
28
29 ps. I tried duplicating the glibc emerge failure that was reported, but
30 didn't see. However, the error was reported after a emerge system, but
31 I checked for it with ebuild glibc unpack compile install. Although I
32 am sure I would have hosed my self if qmerged, the build and install did
33 not fail.