From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lastrite: games-fps/openarena
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 19:56:45
1 On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 March 2010 18:29:13 Mark Loeser wrote:
3 >> Michael Sterrett <mr_bones_@g.o> said:
4 >> > I've remove the mask for games-fps/openarena.
5 >> >
6 >> > The mask was done without consulting the games team.
7 >>
8 >> This is no reason to remove the mask.  The games team had more than
9 >> enough time to fix the package.  I'll be adding the mask back as the
10 >> package is vulnerable via multiple bundled libs and therefore shouldn't
11 >> be in the tree.  You can apply the patches if you want to keep it and
12 >> remove the mask at that time.
13 >>
14 >> Thanks,
15 > This thread is yet another proof that we need to introduce a "Upcoming
16 > masking" for unmaintained packages.
17
18 <sarcasm>
19
20 Shall I file those forms in triplicate and fax them to the main office sir?
21
22 </sarcasm>
23
24 Since amazingly I actually started the Treecleaners project; the
25 intent was actually to fix problems with packages. Part of the
26 problem is that there are hundreds of packages in the tree and the
27 fixes vary in complexity so it is difficult to create hard-and-fast
28 rules on when to keep a package versus when to toss it. One of the
29 things I like about masking is that it quickly gets people who
30 actually care about the package up to bat to fix it instead of leaving
31 it broken for months. I realize maintainers do not exactly enjoy this
32 kind of poking, however when things have been left for long enough I
33 believe our options become a bit more limited (in this case, masking
34 for removal due to unfixed sec bugs.)
37 > Instead of first masking a package and then announce it, we can simply announce
38 > that we are gonna mask the package in 10days if there is no activity on the
39 > respective bug
40 > --
41 > Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
42 > Gentoo Linux Developer