From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:28:24
1 On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:03:15PM +0200 or thereabouts, Tom Payne wrote:
2 > We will also need to persuade every dev to support this. Often bug fixes are
3 > available from upstream only in a new version of a package, and are mixed in
4 > with a many other improvements. Extracting the bug fix _only_ and
5 > backporting this fix to an old version is at best time consuming, often
6 > difficult, and occasionally impossible.
7
8 This was never the intent of the original GLEP. I don't think backporting
9 fixes is feasible for many reasons.
10
11 > Backporting fixes to out-of-date software that I no longer use for the
12 > benefit of people I don't even know exist is distinctly unglamourous and
13 > doesn't scratch any of my Open Source itches. You really need to persuade
14 > developers that "Enterprise (slow-moving) Gentoo" is a good idea before
15 > discussing implementation details.
16
17 The primary reason for writing and reviving this GLEP is because quite a
18 few developers, along with a great deal of users, have asked for an
19 enterprise version of gentoo.
20
21 --kurt