From: Tom Payne <twp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:03:35
1 On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 04:43:25PM -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 20 July 2004 9:14 am, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 > > A while back, I wrote GLEP 19[1] based on some of the needs of the
4 > > gentoo-server project. For various reasons, the GLEP was tabled at the
5 > > time and never went anywhere. A number of folks have expressed an
6 > > interest in revitalizing this GLEP, so I'd like to start a new
7 > > discussion about implementing it. There was a couple of previous
8 > > threads on this GLEP back when it was first introduced that I'll
9 > > include[2] for your reference.
10 >
11 > Therefore I believe another possible solution is to change the way we use
12 > profiles (both in practice and in QA policy):
13 >
14 > Implications:
15 >
16 > 4/ we will need to have a policy about how long we'll support a profile,
17 > and a procedure for end-of-lifing profiles. (probably don't want to
18 > support a single profile for more than 2 years)
19
20 We will also need to persuade every dev to support this. Often bug fixes are
21 available from upstream only in a new version of a package, and are mixed in
22 with a many other improvements. Extracting the bug fix _only_ and
23 backporting this fix to an old version is at best time consuming, often
24 difficult, and occasionally impossible.
25
26 I think one of the reasons that Gentoo as stable as it is, despite the speed
27 at which it changes, is that we limit ourselves to supporting _only_ what
28 the upstream author supports. Doing anything else requires lots of manpower.
29 Either you employ hundreds of developers like RedHat, or you end up with a
30 very stable but very slow moving distribution like Debian. I don't want
31 Gentoo to be either.
32
33 Backporting fixes to out-of-date software that I no longer use for the
34 benefit of people I don't even know exist is distinctly unglamourous and
35 doesn't scratch any of my Open Source itches. You really need to persuade
36 developers that "Enterprise (slow-moving) Gentoo" is a good idea before
37 discussing implementation details.
40 Tom
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list