From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Should we switch IRC client defaults off Freenode?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 14:56:19
1 >>>>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2
3 > On 2021-06-16 13:28, Michal Prívozník wrote:
4 >> Why should we mangle with packages this way? I mean, to me Gentoo was
5 >> one of the few distros that allowed real choice for users (systemd vs
6 >> openrc, selinux or !selinux, etc.). We shouldn't be making choices on
7 >> behalf of users. The best we can do is to open issues for whatever IRC
8 >> client we have in portage to switch from freenode to something different.
9 >> BTW: not everybody is switching from freenode to libera.chat.
10
11 > I second that.
12
13 > Adding *our* network is one thing, like adding branding, but removing
14 > stuff we don't like is going to far.
15
16 *sigh* Please read my answer again. I haven't suggested that Freenode
17 should be removed, but my answer was misrepresented in the message
18 you're replying to.
19
20 Ulrich