From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic dependencies
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:15:14
1 On 09/16/2015 04:49 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > here's a quote from the Council 20140826 summary:
5 >
6 >> Dynamic dependencies in Portage
7 >> ===============================
8 >> During discussion, is was remarked that some changes, e.g. to
9 >> dependencies in eclasses, could require mass rebuilds of packages.
10 >>
11 >> Vote:
12 >> - "The council asks the Portage team to first outline their long-term
13 >> plan regarding removal or replacement of dynamic dependencies,
14 >> before they remove this feature. In particular, tree policies and
15 >> the handling of eclasses and virtuals need to be clarified."
16 >> Accepted unanimously.
17 >
18 > Since there seems to be interest in the Portage team to go ahead with that
19 > plan, I'd like to ask about the tree policies and the handling of eclasses and
20 > virtuals.
21 >
22 > I guess we'd appreciate this as a prerequisite for being able to give the plan
23 > future council support.
24 >
25 > Cheers,
26 > Andreas
29 could someone explain what the dynamic dependencies are in the context
30 of portage and ebuilds? because that does seem to be something
31 portage-internal specific in the way it handles changes in {,R}DEPEND
32 without revbumps. Where is this thing documented in the first place?
35 Regards,
36 Markos Chandras