From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 12:55:13
1 On 07/05/2016 06:25 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> The subject of this particular mailing list post is a little alarming and
5 >> over reactive. We are not running around p.masking everyone's packages, but
6 >> issues that have been outstanding for years often result in such courses of
7 >> action. I personally told Anthony I should have requested his assistance
8 >> initially on the matter, and I do apologize for that. He is an active
9 >> developer who would respond in a timely manner. So once again, I do
10 >> apologize.
11 >
12 > Thanks, and my intent wasn't to suggest that I thought there was any
13 > kind of a trend here. I just wanted to agree that this shouldn't be
14 > how it happens. It sounds like we're already on the same page, which
15 > isn't surprising since this was the first complaint I've heard in a
16 > while.
17 >
18 >> Finally, that does not dissolve the developer of providing usable,
19 >> substantiated, and verifiable information regarding the vulnerabilities.
20 >> The idea that a developer gets to choose whether or not they do so should
21 >> not be considered.
22 >
23 > Also agree. I think we need to have a reasonable security policy, but
24 > clearly there can't be unresolved questions about whether a particular
25 > package-version is vulnerable or not. If we don't get a question like
26 > that resolved in a timely manner then the version should be masked.
27 > Users can then make an informed decision as to whether they want to
28 > take the risk in unmasking it.
29 >
30 > Our security policies are a tree-wide QA commitment that our users
31 > rely on. We shouldn't advertise a security policy that we aren't
32 > willing to enforce.
33
34 As an old C hack, and user of gentoo for over a decade, I understand the
35 positions being articulated herein. However, I think there is a
36 fundamental perspective that is missing, so I shall attempt to
37 illuminate that perspective. 'C' is still a magical and most important
38 language. It is the transitive language between large, complicated
39 systems, and hardware. Like it or not, without hardware, there are no
40 systems.
41
42 There are many new and modern languages with wonderful features. I get
43 that, and appreciated that they are needed and desired. But modern
44 (security and usefulness) metrics are being applied to old codes that
45 are useful for a variety of reasons, beyond compiling them and using them.
46
47 There is an intersection between minimal unix (minimal gentoo in our
48 case) and embedded systems. Docker, many would cite as the leader in
49 commercial container deployments, has realized that minimal is better,
50 faster, easier to secure and can always be 'scaled up' by adding more
51 codes (hence they subsumed Alpine Linux).
52
53 Gentoo has a rich, legacy in old, simpler codes that bridge embedded
54 linux to (bloated/full-featured) linux. Those old codes that appear to
55 many as useless, indeed form a narrow bridge to both the past and the
56 logic/tricks/methods to get various types of hardware working in a
57 minimal or embedded environment. They are often 'single function' codes
58 without the complexity of a gui or bloated formations. They are easy to
59 read and with a CLI focus, allow a developer to see how some things
60 work. Those old codes, folks are quick to purge now, often contain
61 logical information on how to talk to hardware. (think ethernet for one).
64 So when we had 'the attic' I was fine with codes being purged by
65 whomever. There is no easy to use equivalent in github (and believe me,
66 I'm a noooooob at github), so I have much anxiety about what, from my
67 perspective, appears to be needless purging of many old codes. I have no
68 problem with removal from the official tree, but I'd like to keep them
69 around, regardless of any security, brokeness or un-maintained status.
70 I completely OK with tree-cleaning, just a soon as the ink dries on the
71 new wiki pages that guarantee archival of old codes. Security, is
72 important, but not the main issue from my perspective. Maintenance of
73 old codes, particularly written in C and related to hardware or logic of
74 minimal systems, is keenly important to me. If gentoo remains 'a good
75 stuart' of these codes, it just another mechanism
76 to distinguish our distro, imho.
77
78 So I would ask (beg if necessary) the kind folks that are the gentoo
79 devs to figure out a way to archive those old codes, and document how to
80 retrieve them, via github, as the attic too is probably like sunrise and
81 such, headed towards deprecation and the chopping block.....
84 Thanks,
85 James