From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding CPUFLAGS USE_EXPAND variable to the profiles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:24:17
1 On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:06:24 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > The issue with this is that $feature on amd64 is not exactly the
4 | > same as $feature on x86. Would a better name be ${ARCH}_FEATURES or
5 | > somesuch? That way there would be no confusion as to whether the
6 | > cpuflags_sse2 USE flag did something for x86 or for amd64 or for
7 | > both, since there'd be either x86_features_sse2 or
8 | > amd64_features_sse2 or both.
9 |
10 | it would make handling in ebuilds a bit more complicated
11
12 I'm not so sure. As I understand things based upon previous
13 discussions on this issue, in most cases fancy optional assembly
14 routines aren't compatible between x86 and amd64 and separate code is
15 required for them anyway.
16
17 | > It'd also make handling use masking much easier.
18 |
19 | why ? because there wouldnt be anything to mask ?
20
21 I'm pretty sure that USE_EXPAND has to be the same across all profiles,
22 so no, masking would still be required. I'm thinking more avoiding the
23 cases where amd64 users set CPU_FEATURES="blah", and the fooplayer
24 package only has blah code written for x86 CPUs.
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list