From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding CPUFLAGS USE_EXPAND variable to the profiles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:43:50
1 On Friday 07 July 2006 18:15, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:06:24 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
3 > | > The issue with this is that $feature on amd64 is not exactly the
4 > | > same as $feature on x86. Would a better name be ${ARCH}_FEATURES or
5 > | > somesuch? That way there would be no confusion as to whether the
6 > | > cpuflags_sse2 USE flag did something for x86 or for amd64 or for
7 > | > both, since there'd be either x86_features_sse2 or
8 > | > amd64_features_sse2 or both.
9 > |
10 > | it would make handling in ebuilds a bit more complicated
11 >
12 > I'm not so sure. As I understand things based upon previous
13 > discussions on this issue, in most cases fancy optional assembly
14 > routines aren't compatible between x86 and amd64 and separate code is
15 > required for them anyway.
16
17 where it's a unified configure option it would be:
18 <before>
19 econf $(use_enable mmx)
20 <after>
21 myconf=""
22 use amd64_cpuflags_mmx && myconf="${myconf} --enable-mmx"
23 use x86_cpuflags_mmx && myconf="${myconf} --enable-mmx"
24 econf $myconf
25
26 then again, the situation we're in now is the same (people either checking
27 USE=mmx or ARCH=amd64, which is wrong imho)
28
29 > | > It'd also make handling use masking much easier.
30 > |
31 > | why ? because there wouldnt be anything to mask ?
32 >
33 > I'm pretty sure that USE_EXPAND has to be the same across all profiles,
34 > so no, masking would still be required. I'm thinking more avoiding the
35 > cases where amd64 users set CPU_FEATURES="blah", and the fooplayer
36 > package only has blah code written for x86 CPUs.
37
38 huh ? in your schema, the variable itself would be name spaced, so there
39 would be amd64_CPU_FEATURES, x86_CPU_FEATURES, etc..., there wouldnt be just
40 CPU_FEATURES
41 -mike