From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Minor nitpicks
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 10:57:57
1 On Sat, 12 May 2001 17:57:14 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
2 wrote:
3
4 > Collins Richey wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Just some minor nitpicks.
7 > >
8 > > 1. hostname always returns (none) on my system. How to fix?
9 > >
10 > yeah, I had the same problem here, it worked after remerging
11 > sys-apps/net-tools. I found a problem in the yp-tools package, it
12 > installed ypdomainname,nisdomainname and domainname.
13 > All those files still existed and where hardlinks to hostname
14 > coming from net-tools. I fixed yp-tools today. But also I found
15 > another hostname binary in /usr/bin. remove that binary
16 > (/usr/bin/hostname) manually please
17
18 I rm'd it, but still no hostname.
19
20 > > 2. The PS1 prompt works if I login from console, but in an x
21 > > terminal window it doesn't (just bash2.04 displayed at the
22 > > prompt). How to fix?
23 > Change the #!/bin/sh line to #!/bin/sh --login
24 > in the windomanager wrappers in /usr/X11R6/bin/wm/.
25
26 I did this, but still no pormpt in terminal under xfce
27
28 > For KDE edit /opt/kde2.1/bin/startkde.
31 Also done, but haven't tried it yet.
32
33 > BTW: I made a package for sylpeed and configured qmail as my
34 > local mailserver. Receiving mail works no matter what settings
35 > I use in /etc/hosts for both the IP and the hostname. What mail
36 > server are you using?
37
38 I don't use qmail or procmail or sendmail; sylpheed is my pop3
39 mail retriever. I doubt that this problem is anything you are
40 concerned with. I'm on @home.com and they use 'mail' as the
41 retrieving and sending addresses. I probably need to start using
42 their DNS server again. Using the ip address is fine most of the
43 time, but occasionally they link 'mail' to a different ip address
44 (doing maintenance, I presume).
47 Collins Richey
48 Denver area
49 gentoo system