From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:23:59
1 On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 8:33 AM, Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 12/18/17 14:01, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Whether we remove all files/ or the entire package dir from the repo,
6 >> I'd suggest that this become more standardized if we wanted to go down
7 >> one of these roads. Instead of sticking something in SRC_URI and so
8 >> on, it might be best if files (or packages) be kept in a standard
9 >> mirrored location, and the package manager would just automatically
10 >> find/fetch them if they exist and extract them to a standard location.
11 >> Then any package that uses files/ can do so in a more standardized
12 >> way.
13 >
14 > Provided exact source of upstream files is kept near the ebuild the idea
15 > is tantalizing.
16
17 To be clear - I wasn't referring up upstream files. I was talking
18 about Gentoo-created files, like patches/etc. There should be one
19 standard place for these things vs having them scattered on various
20 webservers (including dev.g.o), with no guarantee of retention.
21
22 Doing this with upstream files would be more difficult. For one
23 they'd use a ton of space, if we're committing to archive them
24 long-term (we already mirror them of course, but only for as long as
25 they're in the repo). And of course we have packages set to nomirror
26 where this isn't even an option.
27
28 I guess there are some packages which are legal to distribute but
29 where we still host the files ourselves because upstream doesn't
30 maintain stable tarballs which would benefit from treating them the
31 same way as files/. Those aren't very common.
34 Rich