From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 13:33:26
1 On 12/18/17 14:01, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> It would be interesting instead to evaluate ways to remove _all_ files/ dirs
4 >> from the tree, keeping ebuilds separated from data.
5 > Arguably you could go a step further and not distribute even the
6 > ebuilds except on demand. Just have an index of what packages exist
7 > and enough dependency info to avoid having to churn with ebuild
8 > fetches in order to resolve them.
9 interesting point of view but this would require major refactoring of
10 portage and providing a resilient and capable infrastructure to serve
11 the ebuilds on demand.
12 Removing just files/ dirs  would require no modification to portage and
13 a load on infra that is probably much lighter (dependant on
14 implementation chosen)
15
16 > You could view ebuilds as source code - certainly important, but not
17 > necessarily the best thing to just have sitting around on your hard
18 > drive when not needed.
19 Personally, most of the time I do see  them exactly this way, but not a
20 big fuss either
21 >
22 > Whether we remove all files/ or the entire package dir from the repo,
23 > I'd suggest that this become more standardized if we wanted to go down
24 > one of these roads. Instead of sticking something in SRC_URI and so
25 > on, it might be best if files (or packages) be kept in a standard
26 > mirrored location, and the package manager would just automatically
27 > find/fetch them if they exist and extract them to a standard location.
28 > Then any package that uses files/ can do so in a more standardized
29 > way.
30 Provided exact source of upstream files is kept near the ebuild the idea
31 is tantalizing.
32 A per repository base SRC_URI and "automatic" downloads of packages files
35 > This also would fix some existing issues with non-upstream distfiles,
36 > where they get stored in various random locations and aren't
37 > necessarily available long-term. This has been a topic that comes up
38 > from time to time, especially if somebody is trying to build from an
39 > old version of the repo. Something like genkernel patches or whatever
40 > would just go in files/ since the size limit is now gone and they'd
41 > presumably be archived forever.
42 >
43 another good point, it would be probably a good time to split $DISTDIR
44 in per package directory, big number of inodes in that dir has also been
45 a source of problems in the past, especially for mirror owners.