From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] getting involved and thanks
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:46:32
1 Great!
2
3 I am the Java-guy on Gentoo currently. I will give you a short round-up of
4 the Java system in this mail, and if I get the proper time (yeah, right),
5 flesh it into a proper HOWTO.
6
7 1) java-config is your friend
8 2) dojar isn't too bad either
9 3) we want all java ebuilds to work with ibm, sun and blackdown jdk and
10 jre, if at all possible.
11 4) given the choice, we want to use jikes as our java compiler.
12 (This will be fixed to be a jikes use flag in the future)
13 5) depend on virtual/jdk for things that need jar, javac, etc..
14 6) depend on virtual/jre for things that only need java and
15 browser-plugins
16
17 Look at the ebuilds in dev-java for details on usage. If there is some
18 info that java-config does not provide that you think is a bad idea to
19 hardcode, contact me, and I'll have it fixed (or provide a patch, and I'll
20 apply it ;)
21
22 Also, #gentoo on irc.openprojects.net is such a nice place that I idle
23 there almost every day :)
24
25 Kind regards,
26